Murrell Library and Commons will support your graduate research activities, both in locating and using information AND in supplying spaces and equipment for doing your work. Library materials are housed in two buildings.
- Murrell Library. Most subjects and available in the Murrell Library. Reference books, newspapers, films on DVD, and career books are located on the first floor of the Main Library. Fiction and non-fiction books, periodicals, popular fiction, audio books, art books, and Special Collections are on the second floor. Phone: (660) 831-4180.
- The Library Commons. Located on the first floor of the Technology Center, the Commons houses educational resources, curriculum materials, and education journals, as well as our Young Adult and Juvenile Collection. Phone: (660) 831-4005.
- A designated librarian to assist you with your graduate student research. For assistance, contact Dr. Bryan M. Carson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 660-831-4123.
- Library Research Guides. We have research guides for each program on campus. These guides will help you begin your research, decide which scholarly databases to use, and find authoritative websites in your discipline. For graduate students, see the research guides for:
a. Counseling Research Guide
b. Educational Administration Research Guide
c. Nursing Research Guide
- Interlibrary Loan. Murrell Library will borrow books and articles that are not available at MVC. We are a member of the Mobius consortium, which includes 78 libraries in 5 states. Murrell Library uses the Avalon Catalog, which includes not only our materials, but also 8 nearby academic libraries. You can place your own requests in Avalon. If you don't find what you need, check the complete Mobius Catalog and place your own request. Murrell Library also has an agreement with the Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries, allowing you to request materials from 80 libraries in Colorado and Wyoming. To see what is available and request materials, use the Prospector Catalog. If you still can't find what you need, we will find it for you. See our Interlibrary Loan page. There is no additional cost for requesting items not held by Murrell Library; your tuition dollars help subsidize this service.
- Need an article from a print journal or a chapter from a print book? Graduate students can also request that articles or chapters from print items in the Main Library be scanned and forwarded to their library accounts! For more information, check out MARS (the MSU Article Retrieval System). Note: this service usually takes two to three working days (Monday-Friday).
- Computers, scanners, printers, and copiers. Both Murrell Library and the Library Commons have computers available. Scanning is free of charge. Costs for printing and photocopying are:
a. Black & white single-sided: 10 cents
b. Color single-sided: 10 cents
- Quiet study. The second floor of Murrell Library is completely silent. both tables and computers are available.
- Lockers. Both Murrell Library and the Library Commons have lockers available for student use. See the circulation desk in either building for information.
- A Cybercafe. Purchase coffee, cappacino, hot chocolate, pastries, and other snacks for $1 in Murrell Library. It's the cheapest coffee on campus!